Its about me and my family. Mainly me and the girls. I may twitter or tweet alot but its mostly thoughts and going ons here at home and thoughts about what we might be doing on weekend or our adventures. Sit down and Enjoy what you are reading.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Busy Busy People.

Hi there all. I have been busy busy busy working and taking care of my little family but find a few minutes to let my friends know how I am doing before I crash usually like now.. LOL.. Miss you all terribly and wish I could post more often but I like it every couple of days because now this gives me something to yack about..

I was actually talking on the headsets tonight... Yayyy me.. I was terrified of them when I first started and wouldnt put them on. Now I was listening and getting things like ice cream and iced coffee's and such tonight with listening and then talking to the person at the other end of the building with them on..

Well I do want to be in bed in twenty minutes. Just coming down from a slower night but steady. I actually did things tonight without being told to do them. Its a step in the right direction. I had to ask about the mopping tonight because I wasnt sure if he wanted me to do that or have some one else do it.But I actually took the fry hopper apart myself. Its the place where the fries are stored after they are fried and then the other thing that stores the fries before we cook them.

Its been amazingly cool here the last few days. Nice to be honest with you. The girls havent asked to go in the pool lately but we are hosting a pool party here on Saturday August 30 th for the end of the summer. We thought get some of the home schooled families together in our back yard and let the kids swim and let Jeff meet some of the people I talk to in the group and let me meet some of the dad's since I know most of the mother's.

We are having hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, a fruit salad, and soda and kool aide for the kids. The only thing that I dont understand is the one family coming is vegetarian. I dont see how the kids are getting all the nutrients they need. I mean being an adult and being vegetarian is one thing but a child. Yikes... I know Hammer you gave me a great recipe and I plan on trying it. Even with my own family. but every night I dont see a child getting enough from being a vegetarian.

I am not docking them dont get me wrong. It just makes me wonder how the kids are getting enough iron and such. Right I know none of my business. Just let it ride.. LOL.. Ok I am going to go make Jeff's lunch and hit the hay for a few hours. Talk to you all soon. N.....

15 comments:

none said...

I started it when I was 5. Lots of soy, eggs, various beans and green leafy vegetables kept me going.

I wasn't allowed dairy either because some quack doctor said I was allergic so that made things even more complicated.

It can work but it takes dedicated parents and kids that don't refuse to eat certain foods.

I saw on the news last week where a family starved their kids to death with some weird vegan thing...I think there had to be a lot more to the story if a 15 year old weiged 40 Lbs.

Squirl said...

I'm glad you're doing well with your job. It sounds demanding.

Hammer's right that being a vegetarian can work. You can get all of the nutrition you need from rice, beans, the leafy greens, etc. And as long as you're not vegan you can add dairy and eggs.

Hope you have great weather for your pool at the end of the month.

Wandering Coyote said...

Glad things sound to be going OK.

As long as their not vegans at that young age and as long as their parents are feeding them properly with lots of leafy greens and other veggies and making sure they get good dairy etc., as Hammer alluded to.

Grizzly Mama said...

Glad to hear that you are more and more comfortable on the job, Tweetey.

About the vegetarianism - I always worry about that, too. Not so concerned about vitamins and minerals, but getting adequate protein seems to be the challenge. My oldest doesn't drink milk due to an allergy but we manage to get her enough calcium through other foods and supplements. The protein would be the challenge. She has a friend who is a vegetarian and she eats soy burgers and such - although I've heard mixed reports on eating too much soy. I do know that beans, nuts, seeds are a good source of proteien. We love garbanzo beans - great protein and fiber content. Perhaps you could add a large bowl of mixed nuts at your bbq - pistachios, cashews and peanuts along with sunflower seeds or something. Throw some garbanzo beans on a green salad. Just some ideas.

I am trying to low carb it - and I've discovered that nuts and seeds are a great snack.

Take care and have a GREAT party!

tweetey30 said...

Hammer I dont know what they feed the kids but all I know is she announced they were vegetarians and would bring vegie burgers and such.

Squirl it is sort of but I am working it out. Its been a month already and I am doing quite well.

WC Things arent as stressfull here now that there is an extra check coming in each month.

tweetey30 said...

Grizzly Mama you snuck in on me.. LOL... I will give it a try. Sounds interesting if nothing else. Never heard of the beans though..

Grizzly Mama said...

Garbanzo beans are also known as chick peas or ci-ci's.

JR said...

Hi Tweets! Just checking in. I'm happy for you about the cookout. It's great when you get to know your neighbors, it improves the way you feel about your neighborhood. As for the vegetarians, we all know it's difficult to get kids to eat right at all, but with the Vegetarian families I know, they eat better to begin with, and they can take vitamins and supplements like anyone else if they need additional nutrients. Their diets are usually much higher in bean consumption which is a good source for protein. My daughter went Vegetarian around age 9 and today she's 19 and still healthy. She's never had low iron or low protein amazingly enough, but she does have low blood sugar and needs to keep an eye on that. The Vegetarians who come to your cookout with find things they can eat, don't worry. Good luck with your cookout!

Wandering Coyote said...

Tweets: will the vegetarians be bringing their own hot dogs/burgers?

tweetey30 said...

Thanks Grizzly. I had no idea. Never heard of them.

VV Thanks. I guess its not that bad. I just know how hard it is to get Kora to eat regular food besides trying to shove something down her.

WC yes they will be bringing there own hotdogs and burgers she said. I will have tomatoes and such for the burgers. Cheese and such.

Gayle said...

I know a family that have raised their twin girls as vegetarians, Tweety. They are happy and healthy and going to college now. The thing is, although they grew up healthy, I doubt they were very happy because neither one of them are vegetarians anymore. It's probably their way of rebelling, because in all other things they obey their parents and are wonderful girls. :)

Gardenia said...

Sounds like you are getting along at work great and it is agreeing with you!

Being a vegetarian can work at any age, but it takes lots of study to find out what proteins are available in plant based foods and how to combine them and plan meals. My daughter cooked vegetarian for two years after grandson was born - we joined a vegetarian group and read a lot. None of us were sick at all during that two year period. I wish she were still cooking!

Well, hope you continue to conquer on your job and it sounds busy with planning the party and getting ready for schooling again!

The Zombieslayer said...

That's cool you can have a party for home schooled kids there. California is really cracking down on homeschooling. Of course I'm against the crackdown, I'm very pro-homeschooling as you know.

What they're doing is making them go through paperwork hell to discourage it, and making it harder and harder to do it.

Yeah, it's not easy cooking for vegetarians. Luckily for us, both Whole Foods and Trader Joes are within walking distance, and both stores have pre-made vegetarian dishes so all you have to do is heat them up.

La Cremiere said...

Glad to hear you've settled in happily in your job and cope so well with the long days and long hours. One of my friend is vegan and one of her daughter's too (copying mom) the dad and the other younger daughter aren't (funny enough having dinner with them), anyway, the mom cooked a lot of Bean Curd - a soya based paste that has all the nutrients of meat. If you go to an Indian or Chinese Vegetarian restaurant, all their fake meat is made of Bean curd and flavours. I only have one recipe but it's an acquired taste so I would not recommend it for your BBQ. Have fun!

tshsmom said...

Well...there are a lot of bad things in hot dogs, chips, soda, and kool-aid, so the vegetarian family is probably wondering about your kids' nutrition also. ;)