Its about me and my family. Mainly me and the girls. I may twitter or tweet alot but its mostly thoughts and going ons here at home and thoughts about what we might be doing on weekend or our adventures. Sit down and Enjoy what you are reading.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Damned Schools in America

I was watching the news at Noon today they are cutting more schools next year again.. For the school year 2010/11.. They are looking at laying off more teachers and closing another school or two here in WI.. I am so glad we home school our girls.. Its not here in Green Bay this happening but you just never know when its going to be our turn here in town..

That means bigger classroom sizes and more drop outs because the kids arent going to understand what is going so instead of asking for help they are going to get fustrated with the system and walk out and not go back.. This is my opinion here... But it hurts to hear about it..

I grew up in a small town in MN and we had up to 30 kids in a class. That was tough sometimes.. I didnt understand alot of what was going on to be honest with you. I barely graduated.. I sort of gave up my senior year of school.. I decided running with my friends was more important than doing home work..

We had to do a 15-30 page report before we could graduate with English and I flopped taht one.. I got a D- on mine if i remember right.. So how do these kids that are used to smaller classes going to feel next year when they have 30-40 kids in a class. A new school because the old one had to shut down.. I dont get it..

SME you might remember that dang report we had to do for the English Teacher back home.. I almost slipped on where it was... Just fustrating for me since my parents were no help with home work and my friends had there own problems.. I couldnt stay late at school half the time.. I had no way home.. I didnt have my drivers liscense and I had no car, no parents that cared enough to pick me up from school...

But anyway I am hoping these kids here in WI have it better than I did. I look at them and wonder why they need 30 million dollars to run a school.. How is closing a school they obviously need going to help them because they will just have to pack more kids into another school and give that school that much more money to deal with..

I cant understand it.. I am angry inside and really just glad we are home schooling our girls.. Bri fights with me on loads of things but she is learning slowly.. Kora still hates math but she is trying.. Its not like if they were in a school setting.. Anyway I am off but just thought i would mention this.. Hope you all have a wonderful night... I will be around tomorrow before I go to work.. I only work three hours tomorrow..

9 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

They are closing schools in our school district. It's a small, rural district and at least 3 schools I know of are slated for closure. It's causing a huge kerfuffle.

But we can afford the Olympics.

Unknown said...

Wow, I thought education was first. I really do not understand how they can spent money in other things and forget about the kids who are the future of tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Grizzly Mama said...

I'm glad you're starting off slow with working.

As for the schools - I've often thought that if I could have that money, what I could do educating my kids. We could go on trips around the world. A lot of those public schools get 12-13,000 (or more) per year per kid in total tax money. Yet they still can't educate them. It's bullshit and there is no excuse for it. Even this private school that I pay out the ass for cannot meet my kids individual needs. It's not about meeting the kids needs for them. It's about shoveling them through half-assed and getting their money so they can have the summer off and the teachers union pension and benefits. What a racket.

commoncents said...

Thank you for posting this! I really like your blog!!

Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

Gardenia said...

Honey, I have to tell you - girls will fight with their mamas. But that is healthy to an extent. I admire your perserverance in teaching them!
I just read a report - that teenagers' vocabulary from the 1950's is 60% higher than the vocabulary of teenagers today. That is where our schools are today! Not in a good state.

Gardenia said...

With this last note, I wonder if their is a reason that all our jobs are being transferred overseas! Our schools are failing our children?

Grizzly Mama said...

Our schools are failing miserably. In international comparison tests, the US ranks above 3rd world countries - that's it. There is no excuse for it, we are the most prosperous nation on earth. Our children deserve better.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is really a terrible shame that they are closing schools everywhere. I think your worries are very real and certainly the bigger the classes the less help anyone can get...Not good.

VV said...

I agree. I home schooled mine initially. It's a tough job. As for high school, my mom made me work to cover her mortgage. I worked 3 part-time jobs to get past the maximum hour limit on minors in school working. I think I put in 56-60 hours per week. Every day after school, I worked 3:30-11:00 and all day and night on weekends at 3 different businesses to get in enough hours at minimum wage. I had an F homework average and an A test average. I don't know how I did it.